Monday, February 20

No Soup For You!

My parents found this new diet that is for heart patients who are overweight and need to have surgery. This magic diet promises you will lose between 10-17 pounds in a week. Sure you will. But they actually did lose quite a bit of weight so my significant other decided to try it. Myself, I was skeptical to say the least. Diets, in my opinion, are shams and bad for your body in general. I am a big fan of exercise and eating what your body needs (Plus the occasional In&Out Double-Double). But being the good husband I am and not wanting to have to cook for myself for a week, I went along with it.

The diet basically consists of a vegetable soup. The soup contains carrots, green beans, onions, celery, tomatoes, bell peppers, and beef broth. You make a big fat pot of it and you can eat as much of it as you want at anytime during the one week diet. It really isn't a bad soup and is actually pretty good. Each day of the diet you can have different things. For example, one day you can only have fruits with the soup. One day you can only have vegetables, one day you can have both and a couple days you can eat all the meat you want. The premise is that your body needs certain nutritional elements at certain times. It is a pretty carb light diet except for the fruit. You can drink pure juices, coffee (No sweeteners), tea, milk and lots of water.

The first day was the hardest. I craved everything in the house because I couldn't have it. The second day was worse. I wanted a candy bar soo bad but I didn't cheat. The third day was pretty easy and I was starting to feel pretty good. The diet is also a good way to "Clean" you out. They say you may want to eat some fiber to combat any constipation. Let's just say I read a lot of books in the library so fiber was not an issue for me. By day four I was down 7 pounds. Granted I am far from what you would call a fattie. I started at 177 lbs and I am 5'10". So by day three I was at 170 lbs. Not too shabby. However it was definitely harder to keep up my exercise regiment. Normally I run 3 miles 5 days a week. I could barely make it the first day and have progressively gotten stronger, although it is still a lot more of a strain than before. I owe this to the lack of complex carbs in the diet. The last 3 days were pretty easy. In the end I lost 8.5 lbs. Not bad considering I am not a fattie to begin with.

It was nice to drop some weight quickly but I think the best part about the diet was how it reminded me that I actually like fruits and vegetables. I can see how easy it is to fall into the junk/fast food diet. So it's been 3 days since I finished the diet. I gained back 1 lb but it was because I had some beer and a big dinner the first night after it was over. I am actually eating the soup for lunch today and a bunch of fruit. So there it is, the one week soup nazi diet. Now that I am an Adonis, I will not be posting here ever again, I have to go reward the sun with my incredible physique. Later fatties.

No comments: